Major Matina Jewell (Ret'd) CSP
Major Matina Jewell (Ret'd) CSP
Major Matina Jewell (Retired) CSP is an inspirational trailblazer, helping leaders build resilient teams to thrive through change.
Named in the ‘AFR 100 Women of Influence 2018’, Matina is also a Telstra Business Awards Finalist and a CPA Australia ‘Top-10 smart thinker’.
Among her honorary roles, Matina is a founding ambassador for Project Thankful, a movement partnered with the United Nations to help empower women and children globally.
A bark portrait painting of Matina was entered for the 2019 Archibald Prize, and her incredible life story has been optioned for a global feature film.
Military Trailblazer & Peacekeeper
Major Matina Jewell (Retired) CSP grew up in the hinterland of Byron Bay and joined the Army at age 17. During her 15 year military career, Matina:
- Served on five missions and earned eight war medals
- Became the only Australian to receive two Republic of Lebanon war medals for acts of bravery on the battlefield and wounded in combat
- At 23yo, was appointed Officer in Command of the Army Department and Diving Officer for HMAS Kanimbla, then Australia’s largest Navy ship
- Was the first woman in the Australian Army to complete the physically demanding ‘Navy Diver’ course
- Worked with the elite SAS and American Navy Seals
- Tracked-down militia leaders in the Solomon Islands
- Fast-roped from helicopters
- Boarded smuggler ships in the Arabian Gulf
- Trained in three languages (Bahasa Indonesian, Arabic and English)
- Gained her Masters in Project Management
- Was selected as a Peacekeeper with the United Nations in Syria and Lebanon
Advisor & Ambassador
Since being medically retired, Matina has campaigned for change for veterans and others in need through numerous honorary and advisory roles, including:
- Prime Ministerial Advisory Council
- National Mental Health Forum
- ANZAC Centenary Commission, alongside former Prime Ministers Bob Hawke and the late Malcolm Fraser
- National Suicide Prevention Commission Advisor
- Australian Peacekeeping Memorial Project – Ambassador
- Project Thankful – Ambassador
- 2019 – Archibald Prize Bark Portrait Entrant
- 2018 – Named AFR 100 Women of Influence
- 2017 – Certified Speaking Professional (International)
- 2016 – Telstra Business Awards Finalist
- 2015 – CPA Australia ‘Top-10 Smart Thinker’
- Matina’s two-part ABC ‘Australian Story’ achieved record ratings
- Her memoir, Caught in the Crossfire (Allen & Unwin) a best-seller
Matina is a proud mum to busy young girls with husband Clent, and lives on the Far North Coast of NSW.
Australian War Memorial
Matina’s ‘In-Their-Words’ contribution, now a permanent exhibition at the Australian War Memorial. (4:24)
ABC Australian Story Documentary
The Blue Beret – Parts I & II
Foxtel ‘I Survived’ Documentary
Matina is proud to be associated with:
Matina is honoured to be a Brand Ambassador for TOYOTA FINANCIAL SERVICES (TFS) who have supported millions of Australians in financing and protecting their vehicles.
Matina and TFS are aligned in their passion and duty for serving the communities they work and live in.
As a UN Peacekeeper in the Middle East, Matina patrolled ‘The Blue Line’ for many months in her TOYOTA LANDCRUISER PRADO.
And Matina is just as appreciative of the safety and comfort of TOYOTA LANDCRUISER PRADO doing the school drop-off and pick-ups today.
With aligned values of respect, passion, quality, innovation, and collaboration, Matina Jewell is proud to be associated with the HOGO BOSS brand.
With sustainability and success inextricably linked, HUGO BOSS has long been Matina’s first choice as the most accessible, fashionable and innovative wardrobe. “HUGO BOSS offers high quality and comfort every time – whether I’m heading to a keynote speech from a long haul flight, or to a coffee meeting from school pick up”.
Quality, innovation, and responsibility form the foundation of HUGO BOSS sustainability strategy, and focus efforts on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations.
I admire people who are really clear on their purpose.
I know that when I am living purposefully, I feel more meaning in everything I do.
And when I take action around my purpose, I feel fulfilled.
I call this ‘dutiful’; the duty we have to ourselves to live life on purpose.
purposeful + meaningful + actionable = fulfilment
It feels beautiful to live dutiful.